Capstone Experiences

Complete your major coursework with real-world experience.

Undergraduate Major Capstone Guidelines

College requirements regarding capstone experiences:

From the IQ curriculum "…all students are encouraged to complete a synthesizing Capstone experience in their major as a way to culminate their major experience."

Current EEPS guidelines:

All students completing an EEPS major are required to complete a Capstone experience during their Junior or Senior year. The capstone should provide an opportunity to synthesize knowledge obtained during earlier coursework in EEPS. The department will accept one of following experiences in fulfillment of this requirement:

1. Geological or Environmental Field Course - Field courses must be taken for credit and a passing grade must be earned.

2. Internship - Internships must be related to the student's major, and must be of a substantive nature (e.g., a semester-long part-time internship or a 6-week, full-time internship).

3. Research Experience - Research experience must have a minimum duration of one semester or one summer, and must be supervised by a faculty member within EEPS. Research may culminate in a senior thesis, however this is not required.

4. Field Experience - Satisfactory completion of the EEPS Undergraduate Field Geology course (EEPS 496).

5. Interdisciplinary Project-based Course – This could include, but is not limited to satisfactory completion of Environmental Law Clinic (EnSt 539) or Sustainability Exchange (EnSt 405).



Proposal Form

Fill out and submit the Capstone Proposal Form to submit to your advisor.

Download Capstone Form [PDF]

Additional Policies

  • All students are required to present their capstone experience at the Undergraduate Symposium in April.
  • Credit will not normally be granted for capstone experiences obtained during the summer between Sophomore and Junior years
  • All capstone plans must be approved in advance by the student's Major advisor.
  • Upon conclusion of the capstone experience, evidence of successful completion must be provided. A grade of C- or better is required for any class taken for credit. For internships or research experiences, a signed assessment letter from a supervisor will be accepted as evidence of successful completion.